Monday, April 14, 2008

Last Sunday 13 April ... a light sharing

I attended the 2nd service last Sunday.I'm not sure if it was a similar message from the 1st but some of the things Pastor mentioned...

1) Missing the mark - sin, does not mean the wrong that we have done.But sin simply means the right that we could not do.

Quite different from what most of us were exposed to.
2) Switching the power source.When people stop relying on their own strength and wisdom and switch to depending on God, the transition period can be trying.

Straight after the sermon, Pastor encourage us to pair up with strangers to pray for one another. I was tripled up with 2 other persons whom I do not know.

They started sharing that there are going through difficult times, one was saying he is going through a time of solitide and he said he could not take it any more and he wish God can bring him out of that drought soon. And what touched me was the fact that when they were sharing with me, a complete stranger, they both teared. I could see that they are already in the process of "switching their power source". (Is this one off or lifelong? Food for thought.)
Soon after, we started praying, they managed to pray but due to time constrain, I was not able to pray ... but that's fine by me... God who is already working in them, will complete the good work.

What touched me is that this is not very common, I seldom come across such incidents in a church service setting. What we have here is something precious. People dare to be real and vulnerable in front of a stranger... or maybe what they are going through, just the thought of it already hurts.

Nonetheless, it reminded me that it's important to be constantly aware of what is happening outside my own world, so that I can be relevant.

Theology was not created in a vacuum. Theology has to be relevant.

After discussing or preaching about God, go on to apply our knowledge to our relationship with God, to our daily living and be victorious, be encouraged even when we can't see victory (yet). Likewise, be relevant to the world who does not know nor have a relationship with Jesus. And not forgetting to be real, genuine and sincere, not necessarily be naive and gullible, but don't have to pretentious.

I see this group to be a channel where I can apply this relevancy, to be real, genuine and hopefully, iron sharpening iron.

That was a good Sunday service.

No comments: