Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bible Study John 8:12-36 Light & Truth

Q1 Jesus said he is the light of the world. What does it mean?
Light could mean many things. But as a good Bible Study student, we will need to stay in the context to understand the meaning. The verse is:
 “I am the light of the world.
Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
  1. Light of the World: not just one person but for everyone who want it - whoever.
  2. Follows Jesus (the Light): We can see the light only by following it. The light is our focus. It points the way. 
  3. Walk: following is walking after Him. Believe and obey His commandments. This light leads to the truth later in vs 32.
  4. Darkness vs Light: In darkness, we see not. We don't know what is right or wrong. There is no direction. We can fall into traps and holes easily. Light shows us the safe way and also let us know where are the holes and dangers. 
  5. Light of Life: This light is about the issues of life and not the street lights. It shows us how to live this life in freedom(John 8:32), abundance(John 10:10), peace and success (John 14:27,16:33,20:19,21,26)
Q2 How can we know Jesus' testimony is true?
(see also Bible Study John 7 Jesus' Defense & The Reception Q3 Jesus Defense) 

Pharisees: You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.

Jesus:
  1. my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. (Details are in Q3).
  2. You judge according to the flesh(external, appearance); I judge no one (by external appearance).
  3. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. (My Father God knows the inside intention of man and hence a true judge)
  4. In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me. (My Father and I are the needed two witnesses)
Pharisees: “Where is your Father?”(It is natural to ask to see the Father than Jesus' claim is His 2nd witness).

Jesus: “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.

This is the tough part that upset people because one can only know the Father through Jesus. The key then is to know Jesus better. What evidences were there to show Jesus was not normal human beings but Son of God? Jesus words and deeds were recorded throughout and Jesus was not asking us just to believe His words only (John 10:38b believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father).

Q3 Where did Jesus come from? How can you know? What was the reaction to His claims?
Jesus claimed He was from ABOVE whereas we were from this World below.
We cannot go to Him ABOVE and die in our sins, unless we believe that He is of God.
We can know by lifting up Jesus -the Son of Man and through Him know His Father 8:28.
Lifting up Jesus is about believing and following Him. Saying nice things about Jesus and not following Him is of no good and it is actually an insult to Jesus.
v30 recorded for us that many believed in Him.


Q4 How to know the Truth? How will the Truth set us free?
v31 and v32 shows the sequence of freedom:
  1. Abide in Jesus' Word, then
  2. We are truly Jesus' disciples, then
  3. We will know the Truth, then
  4. The Truth will set us free.
The truth is found in Jesus' Words but we won't know the truth truly until we abide, live in, follow, and experience it to know it fully. By following, walking in the light of the truth, then we make an external objective truth into an internal subjective and personal truth that show forth its power to deliver us from any bondage (of sins, wrong beliefs, weaknesses, confusion ...) and into the live of abundance and freedom.

Freedom is about freed from en-slavery of any sort, and a cleansed and purified conscience to enjoy the right and good God and all His providence. Freedom is about the ability to grow up, move forward to the higher planes in life without restraining baggage.

Knowing the truth the beginning and practicing the truth gives us the true victory, progress and the joy of life freedom. Grace is not freedom to sin but freedom to enjoy and do more good.

No comments: