- The Trails by High Priests - Annas, Father-in-law of High Priest Caiaphas.
- Peter's Three Times Denials of Knowing Jesus.
Q1 Described the hearing with Annas. What was the conclusion? Did they find any thing wrong with Jesus' teaching?
- The ex-High Priest Annas questioned Jesus about his teaching and his disciples.
- Jesus challenged them to ask the people who heard him at public.
- One officer struck Jesus for his rudeness.
- Jesus challenged them to point out what wrong he did say.
- They have no answers. They could not find a valid reason to charge Jesus.
- So they bound and send Jesus to Caiaphas.
- Mat 26:57-68, Mar 14:53-65, Luk 22:54-65 recorded for us what happened at the hearing with Caiaphas. They found none and finally nailed Jesus for admitting the truth that He is the Son of God (Mark 14:62). It is the very sin of Adam wanting himself to be the judge of right and wrong without the full knowledge and understanding. (note: the most convenient way to study gospels is to read the Harmony Gospels. You can get it by downloading e-Sword www.e-sword.net).
- Caiaphas also believed in sacrificing one Jesus for the whole nation. John 18:15.
Q2 Describe the three denials of Peter. Can you explain what happened to the courageous Peter that cut off Malchus' ear?
- At the door of Annas' house when asked by the servant girl.
- Warming himself with the servants and officers when asked by one of them.
- Asked by a relative of Malchus.
Even David, in Ps 27, started with confidence, but went through some doubts, and eventually encouraged himself to hang on by waiting on the Lord.